If you want to learn a cool easy effect in iMovie, the picture in picture effect is one of those. You know when you watch a news report and see a reporter talk about something going on in the world. Well the majority of the time, you’ll see either a picture or video of that event on part of the screen. That’s basically what the picture in picture effect does. It adds a video or picture over the top of another video so that they can both be played and seen at the same time.
You’re probably thinking that the picture in picture effect must be difficult to achieve in a basic editing program like iMovie. Well guess what? You’re in luck! It’s super easy and this iMovie picture in picture tutorial video will show you exactly what I mean.
iMovie Picture in Picture Tutorial Video
Now that you’ve watched this video you should be ready to add the picture in picture effect to any video you create. That is if it needs it of course. Here’s a recap of the steps to remember:
iMovie Picture in Picture Tutorial Steps
1. As always, start a new project.
2. Add a video or picture to your project.
3. Find another video or picture and drag it directly over the top of the first clip or picture you added to your project.
4. Select “Picture in Picture” in the list of options.
5. Make the proper adjustments to that clip. (Resize and move the clip or picture where you want it on the screen).
6. Finally, hit done.
Just like that you have learned how to use the picture in picture effect in iMovie. Don’t be surprised either when you realize how much you use this effect for a variety of things in iMovie.