How To Make an Explosion Effect in iMovie:
Whether big or small it seems that everybody loves watching explosions. Why is that? I don’t think that there’s any specific reason except for the fact that they add an extra level of excitement to a movie. That being said, is it possible to make some kind of an explosion effect in a program as simple as iMovie? You might not believe me, but let me tell you how you can make an iMovie explosion effect.
Although you can’t make the explosion itself in iMovie, here’s what you can do. If you have any type of pre-keyed explosion footage, you can make this effect in iMovie. You can find this pre-keyed or no background explosion footage online, in other editing software, or you can even shoot some yourself. As long as you have the footage, making the effect is actually pretty easy.
This tutorial video will explain how to make an iMovie explosion effect:
iMovie Explosion Effect Video
Now that you’ve seen this tutorial video, you know that you will be able to create this explosion effect yourself. There are all kinds of different explosions with or without smoke that you can use. If you want to just use an explosion and not add smoke, do it. If you want to add different kinds of explosions that go off one after another, do it. The point is to try and see how many different kinds of explosions you can come up with.
Here are the steps to remember when making this explosion effect in iMovie:
- Find any kind of pre-keyed explosion and smoke footage that you can find.
- When you import the footage, make sure that optimize video is not selected in the import window.
- Drag and drop your explosion footage on top of your video clip in your project timeline and select picture in picture.
- Re-size your explosion and move it where you want it to be on your video clip.
- Add any kind of dissolve, color correction, or any other edits that you want to make your effect look the best it can.
Just like that you have successfully created the iMovie explosion effect. As you continue practicing, you’ll be surprised at what you will be able to do.